Yesterday our city was jolted out of a case of the doldrums with a
erotictragic fall of a teen idol. Blame it to wardrobe malfunction, the idol's pants slipped when she was doing some acrobatics on live TV to raise funds for charity, ending millions of audience seeing her thong (we love to call it T-back here in Hongkong) on TV. My colleagues simple went ape over the incident while watching its replay on youtube again and again, as if they're very lucky to see a thong.
But come to think of it, it IS very lucky to see thong. Because, I mean, the very fact that we're able to see thong, either on TV or PC or prints or even to wear that ourselves, somehow means that we don't have to worry sick about our next meal. Trust me, people living in poverty simply can't afford the luxury for all these thongy thingy.
They rather see food.
And this, sensibly brings me to the Menu For Hope III and how you can help these people.
Because gracefully, Menu For Hope III this year is about helping the United Nations World Food Programme.
This fund-raising event begins today and ends on Dec 22. During this span, you'll have the chance to buy raffle tickets for some amazing gifts kindly donated by bloggers from around the globe. Later today, you can visit Chez Pim's campaign page to glimpse the entire global gift list, or you can visit the regional coordinator Grab Your Fork's blog now for a detailed round-up of our own Asia Pacific area. Donation is easy and all the money raised are going to be funneled to Unicef when you donate via this reliable donation page.
For the event I'm donating a set of Anthony Bourdain books that includes Nasty Bits, A Cook's Tour, Kitchen Confidential and Les Halles Cookbook. What set them apart from those you can easily buy from Amazon.com is that they are all signed by the author himself. And if the brewing is right, more bonus will be awarded to the winner of this gift as well: could be a A4-sized poster of 'Bourdain Does Hongkong,' to be shot by yours truly and signed by the poster boy himself. So if you're a big fan of Mr. Bourdain, stay tuned to this blog for the coming few days -- Mr. Bourdain might as well
donate his own thongsponsor more memorabilia for the occasion. Before I forget, the gift code is AP34 for the books, and the bonus.
If you want to donate, here's what you should do...
1. Go to the donation page at (http://www.firstgiving.com
2. Make a donation, each US$10 will give you one raffle ticket toward a prize of your choice. Please specify which prize or prizes you'd like in the 'Personal Message' section in the donation form when confirming your donation. Do tell us how many tickets per prize, and please use the prize code - for example, a donation of US$50 can be 2 tickets for AP01 and 3 for AP02.
3. For US donors, if your company has agreed to match your charity donation, please remember to check the box and fill in the information so we may claim the corporate match.
4. Please also check the box to allow us to see your email address so that we could contact you in case you win. Your email address will not be shared with anyone.
5. Check back on Chez Pim on January 15 when we announce the results of the raffle.
Again, many thanks for everyone's support, and hat off to Pim for devising such wonderful and meaningful event! Remember, the gift code is AP34!